STAGING TIPS FOR ALL HOMES
As a N.J. Realtor, I am often asked by Sellers how they can best prepare their homes for sale. The answer is simple…. Bring in a PROFESSIONAL Stager! The investment may be less than you think and it’s worth every penny. A Professional Stager will tweak the home with suggestions for cosmetic fixes and furniture placement changes that freshen the home and increase it’s desirability. In my experience, the value lies in the smart packaging of the product (the home!) that results in increased traffic, quicker offers, and higher selling prices. My “go to” professional stager, Phyllis Pafumi of Restyled To Sell ( http://restyledtosell.com/ ), provides my clients with consultative staging services that range in scope from room arrangement to full on staging of vacant homes. Having Professional Stagers as a resource is a vital contributing factor to a marked increase in the success my clients have experienced in selling their homes.
Here are some of the tips and strategies that are given to my clients prior to listing a home:
1. START PACKING AWAY ALL ITEMS IN ALL YOUR CLOSETS THAT YOU WILL NOT BE USING. (Remember, you are MOVING, so think of it as packing. The reality is, the more spacious the closets and storage areas appear to be, the happier a Buyer will be.)
2. GET ALL ITEMS OFF OF FLOORS IN CLOSETS AND LINEN CLOSETS. CLEAR OFF ALL DRESSER TOPS AND BATHROOM VANITIES.
3. REPLACE BROKEN LIGHT BULBS AND LIGHTING FIXTURES, IF ANY (Dark and dismal appeals to NO ONE!)
4. KEEP HOUSE SPOTLESSLY CLEAN AT ALL TIMES AND ALWAYS HAVE BEDS MADE EACH MORNING
5. THROW ALL TOWELS IN DRYER EACH MORNING AFTER SHOWERS (They get smelly!)
6. KEEP ALL PERSONAL HYGIENE ITEMS TUCKED AWAY AND OFF COUNTERS IN BATHROOMS
7. KEEP ALL BLINDS AND CURTAINS OPEN TO LET IN MORE LIGHT. (Make sure your windows are clean!)
8. PACK AWAY ALL BOOKS THAT YOU ARE NOT CURRENTLY READING OR USING FOR WORK. SHOW SPACE – HOME BUYERS LIKE SPACE
9. NEUTRALIZE ALL PET ODORS AND REPLACE ANY STAINED CARPETING
10. PACK AWAY ALL FAMILY PHOTOS (Yes, they are beautiful, but trust me, home buyers get distracted by pictures and diplomas. We want the focus to be on the HOUSE, not it’s inhabitants!)
11. CONSIDER PLACING EXCESSIVE FURNITURE IN STORAGE UNTIL YOU MOVE TO A NEW HOME. (Less is often more!)
12. CLEAN WINDOWS, FRENCH DOORS, AND WALL TRIM (Bright and clean homes are appealing to everyone!)
13. CLEAN INSIDE OF CABINETS/REFRIGERATOR AND STOVES (Prospective home buyers will be opening them!)
14. KEEP HOUSE SPOTLESSLY CLEAN AT ALL TIMES AND ALWAYS HAVE BEDS MADE EACH MORNING (It can be challenging, but it is necessary!)
15. WHEN POSSIBLE REMOVE OR PAINT WALLPAPER. (Although this is sometimes an expense however, it is money well spent. Buyers view wallpaper removal in a home as “needing work”, and often discount a great home because of that.
16. REMOVE RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL ITEMS. (This is the time to be neutral on such topics. Home buyers not need to know that much about you!)
My job is to help home sellers achieve their goal of getting the highest price in the shortest amount of time. By following these tips, and utilizing a professional stager, a Seller can best prepare their home for sale in a competitive market. Pricing is key, but presentation is crucial!
Before and After Photos